Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Just the Basics

People always tell me that I'm not fat. That I'm OK. That I am petite and small.

It's a lie. And the truth.

True, I am short, and I do have a small frame. And I know I'm not in the very upper ranges of weight. And, I'm actually fairly healthy - in a cardiovascular sense. My asthma gets me down sometimes and prevents me from doing things, but when that's good, I'm in OK shape considering my generally sedentary lifestyle (compared to most).

But, I am definitely overweight for my height. And my petite frame. And I just don't feel comfortable anymore.

So then I started to think about it.

I've thought for years "what I will do when I'm skinny" and how it will be...and through those years I've just seen myself gain more and more weight, not lose it.

Someone
told me that to effectively lose weight, you must come up with 15 reasons why you want to...

REASONS:

Short Term Goals - to feel better about myself
1. To fit into the clothes I have so I don't have to wear the same things over and over
2. To be able to buy new clothes and feel good about it when I try something on
3. To not have to crop parts of my body out of pictures
4. To not feel like the "fat" girl around my friends
5. To be able to wear the clothes I want to wear and look good

Mid Term Goals - to know that I am more than my weight
6. To not always assume that a guy doesn't like me "because I am fat"
7. To train myself to have better eating and exercise habits
8. To stop looking at pictures of me in the past and think about how much skinnier I was
9. To make my body stronger
10. To increase my lung capacity and turn my asthma into a healthier handicap than it is now

Long Term - to live a better life
11. To be able to be physically healthy in the future
12. To be able to play with my kids, run around with them outside
13. To be a hot mom (and hopefully knock off pregnancy weight!)
14. To know that I FINALLY did it
15. To know I did what I could to live a longer, healthier, and happier life


STEPS:

Current
1. Cutting soda out of my diet (I have no more than 3 a month usually, including diet sodas)
2. Cutting juice out of my diet (I have maybe one or two lemonades or something a week)
3. Increase water intake
4. Stock up on healthier snacks - low fat yogurt, string cheese, 100 calorie snack packs (to make portion control easy)
5. Try to exercise at least 15-30 minutes 3 times a week (getting back into that routine)

Future
6. Realizing that it won't happen overnight, and to try to keep going even if I get frustrated
7. Trying to eat breakfast more, even though I'm too busy
8. Trying not to just starve myself, and in fact learn to eat more (healthy things, things that fill me up)
9. Realize that if I mess up one day, it's not the end of the world and that I can start over the next day
10. Know that I can still go out to eat and be with my friends, but just need to cut portions or make healthier food choices

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle at Hey Love Designs said...

Good luck!!! ANd omg I love 100 cal snack packs. Although I'm sure it's a waste of money because I could easily just buy a full bag of something and portion it out into baggies but I like the fact that someone else is doing it for me :) Although, the pringles are a tease because you only get like 10 chips!

And of course you will get discouraged at some point, but don't give up. I started running during the summer last year then picked up again in December, and got so frustrated when I wasn't losing any weight. Up until about 2 months ago, it started shedding off! So don't give up, you might hit a plateau, but the end result is fabulous!!!

Good luck!

5:01 AM  
Blogger Stef said...

These are all really good reasons, both for physical and emotional goals.

My biggest advice is to definitely start eating breakfast, even if it's something small. I was a non-breakfast eater for most of the first 20 years of my life, but once I started it's amazing the difference. You feel more energetic and "on" in the morning. And scientifically, eating breakfast starts your metabolism going for the day and gets you burning calories, rather than staying in the "ketosis" mode that it's in overnight where it tries to conserve energy (aka store fat) while you're not taking in anything. Breakfast rules!!!

6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home